On September 6, 2013 you became a big brother. I wish there was a ton of advice that I could offer, but even though I have both a younger brother and younger sister I am still learning what it means to be a big brother.
Here are some of the lessons I have learned so far:
- Be Patient
- At times you will be frustrated with your sister, but that frustration will pass and she will always be your sister.
- Let Her Make Mistakes
- Part of growing up will is learning and we learn the most from our mistakes. If you try to keep your sister from making mistakes you will be taking away her opportunities to learn.
- Protect Her
- Sometimes you will need to step in and keep her from making mistakes, which is contradictory to #2. You will make mistakes in picking the right times to protect her and you will need to learn from your mistake
- Be a Student
- Accept the fact that your sister will sometimes know more than you, she will be right and you will be wrong. This doesn’t mean you have failed it hopefully means that we all have succeeded.
- Be a Teacher
- Nothing like continuing the contradictions, but remember being a teacher does not mean being a preacher.